138, avenue des Frères Lumière
69371 Lyon Cedex 08
- 1982: Start of the production and provision of orthopaedic devices to Cambodian refugees in Thailand and official founding of Handicap International in Lyons
- 1984: Opening of an orthopaedic centre in Angola – the organisation’s first programme in Africa
- 1990: Action on behalf of orphans in Romania
- 1992: Launch of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL) and the beginning of mine clearance activities in Cambodia
- 1993: Launch in France of the magazine Déclic, published by Handicap International to provide support and advice to families coping with disability.
- 1993: Handicap International is one of the rare NGOs to work with populations under the control of all the belligerents in the Balkans war
- 1994: Action in Rwanda in the wake of the genocide
- 1996: Handicap International receives the UNHCT Nansen Refugee Award for its work with refugees
- 1997: The organisation is co-winner of the Nobel Peace Prize with the other NGO members of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines
- 1998: Operation in the wake of the exodus of a million Kosovars to Albania
- 1999: Handicap International is granted consultative status by the United Nations.
- 2003: Start of Handicap International’s fight to ban cluster munitions. The organisation is co-founder of the Cluster Munitions Coalition (CMC)
- 2004: Emergency operations in South Asia in response to the tsunami
- 2008: The Nansen prize was awarded to the United Nation Mine Action Coordination Centre for South Lebanon in recognition of the work carried out by its deminers, including three teams from Handicap International.
- 2010: Emergency operations in Haiti after the earthquake and in Pakistan after historic flooding
- 2011: Handicap International wins the Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian prize for its work alongside people with disabilities.
- 2012: Emergency operations in support of the populations caught up in the Syrian crisis
- 2013 : Emergency operations in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines
- 2015 : Emergency operations after the earthquake in Nepal
- 2015: Adoption of the organisation’s 2016-2025 strategy